Wednesday, March 18, 2009

No meat Fridays

I gave up soda for Lent and since I'm a wannabe Catholic, I decided I'm not going to eat meat on Fridays either. JMK and I usually observe the no meat deal on Good Friday but I figured I'd better take it up another notch! Last Friday, LM, LG and myself brought a small potluck of non-meat items for lunch. I made baked ziti, LM brought garlic bread and LG picked up a Caesar Salad from Roma's. Sorry, no pictures but believe me, it was an awesome and satisfying lunch. I almost forgot about no meat when I was thinking about dinner later that same day BUT I remembered and made myself some eggs over medium with toast.

The week before last, I made ceviche with imitation crab meat. My dad has this problem with imitation crab... "Why are we still eating imitation crab in this day and age???" Anyway, for those of you wondering, imitation crab is really Alaskan Pollock. I got this recipe from Maria, I think hers is the best ceviche that I've had thus far and I think I did a good imitation of her recipe. Notice anything missing?? No tomatoes! Don't worry I added them in after I took my share out.

This Saturday, Buddy and I went to IHOP to check out their new Loaded Country Hash Browns. As you can see, they all looked pretty damn good.


I'm not a huge bacon fan so I was able to cut it down to two choices, the ham and swiss or the sausage and cheddar... the winner?
Ham and Swiss...


Of course, I had to get sausage on the side and I told the waiter to hold the pancakes and bring me some sourdough toast instead. I think I did a pretty good job.

After that hearty breakfast, Buddy and I did some grocery shopping at Vons and then headed over to check out an apartment for rent. Unfortunately, I chickened out. Buddy got a nice scarf out of the trip because we happened to stop at the yard sale on the same street. Better luck next time.

They gave us some of these yesterday in celebration of St. Patrick's Day. I think they look radioactive, but I guess they're good because the super had two in a roll.


Last Sunday, after doing the laundry, Nick Nack and I went over to Fredo's in Pasadena. She had the cheese ravioli with fresh mushrooms and I had this..


The Fredo's Special; pepperoni, mushrooms, onions, bell pepper and sausage. YUM! Since it was a buy one, get one deal, I took the second one over to JMK.

By the way, in case you didn't know, MARCH is Social Work Month! I bought the girls some Krispy Kreme donuts earlier this month but I haven't seen anything from the higher ups yet. Selfish beasts.

I went on a j-o-b interview last week and it went pretty damn good if I do say so myself. It's a gorgeous facility and the people seem genuinely happy to be there. I got a call for a second interview, but it hasn't been scheduled just yet. Cross your fingers! Or not... I'm excited for the change but as some of you may already know, I fear change. I'm not sure I want to leave my residents and families. I worry that they won't be taken care of... I'm too damn caring I guess.

Lovin' from the Oven is officially on Spring break until May. Here's one last picture for the road...

1 comment:

  1. all your posts make me sooo hungry!
    great stuff.
    and i learn so much more about jmk!

    ReplyDelete